Chan Zuckerberg Initiative - Palo Alto, CA
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to create a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grant-making, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Laptops, tablets, and mobile phones are often the most overlooked systems when it comes to investing engineering in ensuring that everyone is highly productive and secure. We believe that the management of end user devices should be treated as a true engineering challenge, no less than that of managing production servers.
This role falls under the Infrastructure organization, which works on building shared tools and platforms used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
- Design, build, manage, and actively support our Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, ChromeOS, and Windows deployments using a combination of Open Source and commercial technologies
- Be responsible for technical decisions surrounding our client platform engineering efforts
- Actively participate within our broader Infrastructure organization's server management engineering efforts including directly managing server infrastructure supporting client platform engineering
- Use data to ensure that our end user devices are secure and that the people using them are highly productive
- Build tools and systems to bridge the gaps between existing solutions or in areas where they just fall short
- Build operationally focused tools to improve efficiency around the most common requests and incidents
- Participate in on-call rotations
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience managing client systems in a cross-platform environment (macOS, Windows, Linux, ChromeOS)
- 3+ years coding and scripting experience with languages such as Go, Objective-C, Swift, Python, Bash, and/or PowerShell
- 3+ years experience working with common monitoring and configuration management tools such as Chef or Puppet
- 3+ years experience working with Mobile Device Management systems such as AirWatch, MobileIron, or JAMF
- Empathy for end users, passion for frictionless experiences, and a pulse for the future of client engineering
- Demonstrated willingness to get your hands dirty and do whatever it takes to achieve the team's end goals
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.