Chan Zuckerberg Initiative - Palo Alto, CA
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
By pairing engineers with leaders in our education, science, and justice and opportunity teams, we can bring technology to the table in new ways to help drive solutions. We are uniquely positioned to design, build, and scale software systems to help educators, scientists, and policy experts better address the myriad challenges they face. Our technology team is already helping schools bring personalized learning tools to teachers and schools across the country and supporting scientists around the world as they develop a comprehensive reference atlas of all cells in the human body.
The Infrastructure organization works on building shared tools and platforms to be used across all of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Members of the shared infrastructure engineering team have an impact on all of CZI's initiatives by enabling the technology solutions used by other engineering teams at CZI to scale. A person in this role will build these technology solutions and help to cultivate a culture of shared best practices and knowledge around core engineering.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, stability, and security of CZI engineering
- Design and build tools and libraries, constituting a shared stack for use across 5+ engineering teams
- Evangelize and educate teams across CZI on best practices
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of relevant coding experience
- Proficiency with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- Shown ability with a scripting language such as Python, PHP, Ruby, or Perl
- Proven ability with a systems language such as C, C++, C#, Go, Java or Scala
- Experience with containers, cloud container schedulers, and continuous deployment systems a plus
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.