Police Athletic League - Queens, NY
Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a part-time Education Specialist who will be responsible for working with PAL’s Director of Education and Development, center staff and schools to identify and develop specific age-appropriate curricula and activities for the after-school and summer camp programs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Model and uphold all Agency rules.
- Identify and develop curricula suitable for after-school and summer programs. Curricula should be thematic and provide youth with sequential, common core learning standards-aligned learning experiences.
- Work with the Center Director to oversee the implementation of program activities. Assist center staff with effective delivery of lessons.
- Using data collected by PAL’s Evaluator, staff reports and schools’ input, foster continuous quality improvement of curricula and activities.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with the principal and designated school staff. Ensure PAL and school goals and needs are reflected in PAL programming.
- Provide training to Group Leaders, Teachers, and Activity Specialists.
- Assist in planning and facilitating center Parent Workshops.
- Present ideas and suggestions for improving programs as often as possible. When presenting a problem or offering constructive criticism, also offer an alternative solution.
- Submit weekly, monthly, written and verbal reports as requested.
- When directed, attend meetings with the Education Department, center stakeholders, as needed to assist in program delivery and promotion of programs.
- Assist in the planning, set up and cleanup for PAL special events.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field. NYS Teaching Certification preferred. Master’s Degree in Education or related field strongly preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience in curriculum development and lesson planning.
- Experience in implementing structured programming for elementary or middle school youth. Classroom teaching experience a plus.
- Familiarity with integrating New York Common Core Language Standards into project-based learning activities.
- Must be responsible and organized with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a team player.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don’t contact this job poster.
The Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.