Police Athletic League - Manhattan, NY
The Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a part-time Front Desk Clerk who will be responsible for assisting in overall administration of the center which includes but is not limited to the following: crowd control and management of lobby area, professional use of phones, membership registration, documentation of member and staff attendance, distribution of program information to youth, parents and visitors, and other administrative duties as assigned by the center director.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- With guidelines established by the center director, and with the support of the assistant director and office manager, provide direction to all people entering and using the building with respect to the appropriate use of the facility, especially the first-floor area, copy/coat room, and administrative office.
- From the clerk registrar’s station and lobby area, assist the center director and program coordinator in the distribution of information to staff, youth, visitors, and parents.
- From the clerk registrar’s station and with the assistance of the office manager, ensure that all staff, youth employment workers, teen center and adult night members, and volunteers sign-in appropriately. Also, notify the center director, program coordinator or office manager of lateness and absenteeism.
- Under the director of the office manager, following systems to track member registration and attendance.
- Monitor the professional use of phones and provide direction to staff and youth when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Demonstrated skills and competencies in managing multiple administrative tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to creatively problem-solve information challenges.
- Professional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with staff, volunteers, program members, parents, community residents, visitors, and vendors.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel preferred.
- Familiarity and compliance with office protocols involving dress, demeanor, record keeping, confidentiality, staff meetings, visitors, and employee use of supplies and equipment.
- A minimum of a high school diploma and demonstrated an interest in the pursuit of further education in administration and/or human service. Associate’s preferred.
- A minimum of two years professional paid work experience in a non-profit youth or social service agency in an administrative capacity.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don’t contact this job poster.
The Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.