PeaceHealth - Ketchikan, AK
PeaceHealth is seeking a Unit Coordinator - Emergency Department, Alaska (Part-Time) for a 0.5 full time equivalent Non-Exempt position. This position will be working Day shift with shift durations of Variable.
Seeking a Unit Coordinator proficient in MS Word and Medical Terminology knowledge to join us in Ketchikan, Alaska!
Provides a variety of unit support functions that contribute to the overall efficient operations of the patient care unit. This position is responsible for preparing, compiling and maintaining patient and operational records in the unit. Performs general secretarial and clerical duties. Acts as a liaison between patient, visitors and caregivers to facilitate communication and resolution of concerns.
1. Perform a variety of support work for the unit including but not limited to: coordinating all paperwork and records, pre-admission, receiving admitted patients; initiating patient files; taking action on physician orders; process discharges orders, transfers and expirations; prepare hospital statistical records. May process daily charges and charge corrections. May update staffing and communication board. May assist with care coordination such as chaplain service, scheduling diagnostic orders, creating charts and writing thank you notes.
2. Maintain and order unit supplies and equipment. Re-stock items as needed.
3. Manage multiple phone calls and threads of communication. Answer and/or direct inquiries for caregivers and visitors. May call caregivers in from On-Call.
4. Provide clerical support for transcription and medical records maintenance.
5. May orient patients and visitors to room, unit and hospital environment, assist with comfort items in collaboration with other health team members and escalating identified needs to other team members as needed.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Medical terminology and completion of unit secretary/ward clerk course preferred.
- Post-secondary degree in hospitality management is preferred.
- Minimum of six months of clerical and/or secretarial experience preferred.
- Experience in a medical related environment or completed course for unit secretaries strongly preferred.
- Computerized health records software experience preferred.
- Certified Administrative Professional is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills, including being proficient in keyboarding and comfortable using MS Office applications.
- Skills in problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Sufficient knowledge of English, spelling and math
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast paced environment essential
ALASKA EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires moderate physical exertion from 34 to 65% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
- Work requires frequent exposure to minor cold, heat, poor ventilation or sharp instruments. Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids once per month or more. Requires the use of a Powered Air Purifying System (PAPR).
- Duties require the ability to concentrate or pay close attention to detail for more than 66% of the work time.
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, WA, is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 800 physicians and providers, a comprehensive laboratory system, and ten medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues to serve communities when invited to do so with a spirit of collaboration and stewardship – the spirit of health.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Ketchikan community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers.
Location: Ketchikan, PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center (301)
Job Category: Business, Administrative & Facilities
Shift Length: Variable
Work Type: Part Time
Hourly compensation starts at: $16.92, more depending on experience
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Ketchikan || Business, Administrative & Facilities || Part Time || EMERGENCY SVCS
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.