PeaceHealth - Eugene, OR
PeaceHealth is seeking a RN Patient Navigator - Childbirth for a 1.0 full time equivalent Exempt position. This position will be working Day shift with shift durations of 8 Hours.
Req ID: 179010
The Childbirth Nurse Navigator provides guidance and support for women and families through pregnancy and after delivery. Serves as a liaison to hospitals and providers, coordinating care and education, and establishing high program quality. Responsible for building professional relationships with expectant moms and families and providing after birth nursing evaluation and care in collaboration with providers in the region.
- Function as a resource and advocate for the physical, emotional and psychosocial needs of women and families through pregnancy to postpartum care.
- Support expecting parents in planning and understanding birth options.
- Help navigate appointments and consultations.
- Offer resources and educate about community programs and support.
- Coach and help remove barriers to care.
- Answer questions and concerns through the pregnancy and beyond to help expectant parents achieve the experience they envisioned.
- Direct group and personal tours of the hospital and childbirth services.
- Lead and develop educational classes about pregnancy and childbirth.
- Assist in development of patient education materials for the pre-delivery and post-delivery experience.
- Provide day-to-day oversight of Patient Ambassadors who share experiences with expectant women and families and support the efforts of the interdisciplinary care team.
- Connect with patients and families within a designated time period before admission.
- Help educate expectant parents about what to expect before, during, and after childbirth.
- Coordinate entry of ambulatory care records and testing results into the hospital electronic medical record.
- Help with hospital pre-admission processes.
- Make telephone contact with patients and families within a designated time period after discharge.
- Assess patient satisfaction with childbirth experience at the hospital.
- Evaluate if new families are home safely and have the resources, they need to care for themselves.
- Refer patients back to their provider as appropriate for clinical questions and medical problems.
- Provide nursing assessment, education, support, and counseling to both mother and newborn in the home within a few days of discharge as ordered by the provider.
- Monitor mother and infant status.
- Screen patients for breastfeeding difficulties or mental health concerns and connect with assistance and resources.
- Perform any newborn screenings as ordered by the provider.
- Provide lactation assessment, education, support, and counseling.
- Utilize the principles of adult education to assess, plan, implement and evaluate lactation needs for patients. Available to provide appropriate education to staff and healthcare providers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply age specific principles of growth and development and life stages to meet each patient’s needs.
- Document patient encounters in the healthcare record according to established standards and communicate encounters to the patient’s providers and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Provide community outreach as directed by leadership.
- Participate in the development of the program.
- Maintain working knowledge of childbirth services offered to obstetrical patients and their families.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (required unless otherwise noted)
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- BSN preferred
- Minimum of four years clinical experience working in maternity and/or lactation services.
- Experience as a patient educator is preferred
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in the state in which nurse will be practicing
- Current IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) certification required at date of hire
- Current BLS (Basic Life Support) certification required at date of hire
- Current Oregon Driver’s License and vehicle for transportation required
- Current childbirth educator certification preferred
- Demonstrated ability to promote positive interpersonal relationships and patient/family centered work environment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Effective teaching skills to provide health education to patients, staff and community
- Effective prioritization skills
- Basic computer skills including MS Office applications
- Bilingual preferred
- Work requires fairly light physical exertion up to 33% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work requires frequent exposure to minor cold, heat, poor ventilation or sharp instruments. Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids once per month or more.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (34-65% of work time).
- Occasional exposure to radiation but well within standards for healthcare providers.
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Eugene community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers.
Location: Eugene, Physician & Surgeons South Building (427)
Job Category: Nursing
Shift Length: 8 Hours
Work Type: Full Time
Hourly compensation starts at: $36.99, more depending on experience
Required Certifications/Licensure: Basic Life Support; Registered Nurse - Oregon
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.