Police Athletic League - Bronx, NY
The Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a part-time Assistant Director who will work actively to ensure that the day-to-day operations of the center are consistent with the school-based model as they relate to the program areas ensuring that program objectives and outcomes are met and that staff is supervised. The Assistant Director will also engage in well-defined teaching/training opportunities with children and/or young adults. Additionally, the AD will identify and develop site-specific age-appropriate curriculum and lessons for the after school and summer camp programs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the management and supervision of the After School Program, Summer Camp, and other special programs involving participants in the School.
- In conjunction with the Center Director, plan, organize and manage special events as assigned by the Director of School-Based Centers or Center Director, or as planned by on-site staff.
- Assist in designing and implementing holiday programming.
- Supervise the day-to-day functions of the programming.
- Oversee the Work Learn Grow and SYEP Programs in a manner that supports the supervisor of the program and ensures that on-site programmatic and operational needs are met.
- Collect and review weekly, monthly, written and verbal reports as requested from program staff. Also, submit same as requested by the Center Director
- Maintain collaborative relationships with the school administration, NYC Department of Health, Office of Food and Nutrition Services, and other agencies as appropriate.
- Develop relationships with parents through parent involvement activities and regular communication.
- In coordination with the administrative assistant, review daily attendance sheets, timesheets, and worksheets and present it to the Center Director for signature and submission to the Payroll Department.
- Participate in hiring educational, support, and program staff with the School-Based Center Director.
- Assure the quality of the programming through job orientation, regular staff supervision, program evaluation, staff training, program development, etc.
- Evaluate staff performance in December, June, and August.
- Maintain and ensure that all administrative details of the program are implemented: updating daycare and summer camp certificates, program registration, student application/enrollment forms, fee collection, attendance, employee documentation, and update and maintain staff handbook, supply ordering, etc.
- Ensure that incident reports (accidents, injuries, altercations, etc.) are submitted no later than the date of occurrence.
- Review reports and provide copies to the center director and office manager for record-keeping purposes.
- In the absence of the Director, represent PAL in meetings, school and outside of the agency.
- Provide Administrative coverage in the absence of the School-Based Center Director.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with the principal and designated school staff. Ensure school goals and needs are reflected in PAL programming.
- Create activity plans. Assist Teachers and Activity Specialists with effective delivery of lessons.
- Any other duties deemed necessary by the School-Based Center Director.
- A Bachelor’s degree preferred from an accredited college or university in Administration, Recreation, Psychology, Sociology, Education, Counseling, or a related field.
- A minimum of three years of professional paid work experience in a non-profit youth or social service agency in an administrative or managerial capacity
- The Assistant Director reports directly to the School-Based Center Director.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don’t contact this job poster.
The Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.