Sodexo - Columbus, OH
Groundskeeper - Senior
Groundskeeper - Senior are responsible for assigning and overseeing the work of Groundskeepers, ensuring that all of work for the shift has been completed in an acceptable manner, and assists in landscaping and maintaining assigned areas. Maintenance of the assigned areas includes keeping the grounds in clean and orderly condition. Groundskeeper II are responsible for general maintenance and upkeep of grounds areas as well as specific detailing of the landscape and flowerbeds. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
- Mows lawns and trims grass around walks, flower beds and walls.
- Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth.
- Removes damaged leaves, branches, and twigs using mowers, tractors and other hand and power tools.
- Lays out and tends flower beds or other decorative vegetation.
- Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed.
- Plants, fertilizes, waters, repair/replace parts on irrigation system and uses herbicides and insecticides to maintain grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Removes snow and ice from walks and driveways.
- Spreads salt, picks up litter, rakes, bags and burns of leaves.
- Cleans drainage ditches and culverts.
- Maintains driveways and parking lots.
- Repairs fences, gates, walls, walks and outbuildings using carpentry, masonry and painting tools.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- May operate trucks and assorted power equipment.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Serves as a lead groundskeeper mowing lawns and trimming and edging around walks, flower beds and walls.
- Assists in training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- 2 or more years of related work experience.
- Horticultural training required.
- Ability to present self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Ability to use all relevant electronic and communication devices.
- Adapts procedures, processes, tools equipment and techniques to accomplish the requirements of the position.
- Ability to effectively communicate policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by fellow employees.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond accordingly to employees.
- Must be able to coordinate the routine responsibilities of staff and resources.
- Pesticide application.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity in light of Sodexo time and attendance policy and/or client operating hours.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends, and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to heat/cold.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Wears protective clothing and/or Personal Protective Equipment required by the work environment or governmental regulations.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.