Sodexo - Albany, NY
1844 Restaurant & Catering Supervisor at UAlbany
The Supervisor - Food may work in any type of food location on client premises. This individual provides oversight at the direction of management on site to coordinate routine work activities of workers and/or service employees engaged in food operations or services at either larger complex facilities or locations in the areas of commercial, health care, schools, universities or other establishments. This individual will provide support to management in the daily oversight of key functions and employees during the normal course of business. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
- Understands and follows all policies and procedures.
- Assists in ensuring a safe working environment throughout the facility for all employees.
- Assists in monitoring employee productivity and provides suggestions for increased service or productivity.
- Responsible for the oversight of day-to-day activities of subordinates and assigns responsibility for specific work or functional activities as directed by on-site management.
- Responsible for orientation and training of employees.
- Performs day-to-day assignments in addition to oversight duties.
- Works with customers to ensure satisfaction in such areas as quality, service and problem resolution.
- Promote in the development of the food service team.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
- Complies with all Sodexo HACCP policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- Must be able to coordinate the routine responsibilities of staff and resources.
- Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond accordingly to employees.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
- Generally in an indoor setting; however, may supervise outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends, and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Work schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm and possible additional hours throughout the calendar week based upon campus events
Hourly rate: $18.50+ based on experience
POSITION: 1844 Restaurant and Catering Supervisor at UAlbany -non union position
EDUCATION: minimum High School/ G.E.D.
EXPERIENCE: Previous Related Experience Required
The 1844 Restaurant and Event Supervisor position’s responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- High profile position with daily interactions with campus client.
- Manages daily restaurant operations
- Opening, Closing, Cash Handling, Oversight of 6-8 UNION employees
- Typical hours are Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00pm with the exception of occasional catered events in the 1844 restaurant and surrounding spaces
- Works closely with culinary supervisor in daily execution as well as restaurant cycle menu planning
- Hands on position
- Oversees restaurant and catered events from beginning to end of event.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Works alongside of catering manager for details on events. Reports to the Catering Manager and Catering Director.
- Meets and Exceeds customer expectations for each and every event or delivery as well as 1844 restaurant.
- Oversees servers, culinary and utility staff daily.
- Ensures any catered events are set up properly and in a timely manner for the start of the event.
- Enforces HACCP Guidelines:
- Hot food hot, cold food cold, cutting & rubber gloves,
- Hats in kitchen, hand washing, temperature recording etc…
- Trains staff in proper service and set up procedures of restaurant and catering event.
- Assists with employee appraisals for staff.
- Serv/Safe Certified. Attend Front Line Leadership training.
- Reports prepared to work on time in proper attire. Reads posted schedules to ensure staffing needs.
- Supervises staff to ensure on timely opening, quality set up and service of event.
- Holds daily huddles with staff before opening or events explaining event details and specific job tasks.
- Treats staff, clients, and management with respect and common courtesy.
- Informs catering office of additional guests that may have attended an event to ensure proper billing.
- Ensures catered events are set up according to Gold Standards.
- Ensures cleanliness of pantry kitchen and all facilities associated with 1844.
- Assists staff in set up of buffet items if necessary.
- Ensures food quality & presentation. Assists staff replenish buffet items when necessary.
- Maintains schedules and minimal or no overtime by reviewing daily punches of staff.
- Ensures staff has punched in for shift, out & in for 30 min. lunch break, and out at end of shift.
- Assists staff in maintaining organization in kitchen and dining room areas.
- Maintains employee information boards.
- Schedules staff & attends all monthly safety meetings.
- Schedules staff for cleaning responsibilities and ensures tasks are completed.
- Maintains stock of linen is clean and organized. Plans ahead for equipment needs for catered events to reduce last minute rental orders.
- Keeps dining room, kitchen and storage rooms organized an orderly, so that all may find and use equipment.
- Ensures buffets are set up properly according to flow, complete set up and signage.
- Ensures staff arrives dressed properly and prepared for work.
- Maintain monthly equipment inventories.
- Orders weekly linens and flowers
- Attend weekly meeting. Attend monthly supervisor meeting.
- Review email a minimum of twice a shift—beginning and end of shift.
- Recommended: valid NY driver’s license with ability to drive vans and large trucks if requested
- Must adhere to any reasonable task required by management to be completed.
A successful applicant must have the following:
- Be a self-starter capable of making decisions that best reflect the department’s mission. This person will understand the importance of “Total Guest Satisfaction” and strive to guarantee every customer the best experience when they visit 1844.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ restaurant or high end catering experience.
- Highly skilled with Microsoft Office products, and Internet.
- Previous experience in the food industry is a must, knowledge of safe food handling practices and the ability to pass food safety exams and/or trainings.
- Applies basic skills and may develop advanced skills using tools and equipment appropriate for the position.
- Ability to effectively communicate and receive information in a manner easily understood by fellow employees and customers.
- Maintain compliance with HACCP, be able to understand and follow HAACP guidelines and pass certification exams. Must have a team player attitude, dependable, reliable and respectable; exemplify excellent professionalism with excellent customer service skills.
- Applies basic skills and may develop advanced skills using tools and equipment appropriate for the position.Ability to effectively communicate and receive information in a manner easily understood by fellow employees.
- Physical Demands: Specific physical characteristics and abilities are required to perform the work, such as agility, dexterity and long periods of walking, standing, bending, carrying or lifting supplies and equipment weighing 50 pounds or more.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.