Gusto - San Francisco, CA
We’re seeking an experienced design leader to drive the vision, strategy, and execution of the Gusto Design System. The ideal candidate will take a systems mindset to create a common, shared code and design framework that combines high product usability together with cost-effectiveness in the overall product development process. In this role you will partner with our Product Design, Brand Design, Engineering, and Product Management teams to build and deploy robust yet flexible design systems, processes, and tools that enable Gusto to scale our exceptional product quality to the next level. As the leader of a new and impactful team, you will also be a key contributor to building our design systems practice from the ground up!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead the development of long-term vision and quarterly goals of the Gusto Design System
- Lead and contribute to the visual and technical direction of experience design, visual style, and technical tooling, with input from design and engineering teams
- Lead efforts to define and standardize reusable design patterns and components
- Partner with engineering to establish, build, and maintain a comprehensive library of shared components, using a modular approach to front-end development
- Set up knowledge-sharing processes that promote collaboration, pairing, and training
- Utilize research methods to assess efficacy of the system as well as customer questions and needs
- Drive wide adoption of the Gusto design system across teams and disciplines
- Develop effective ways of assessing the business impact of the Gusto Design System
- Provide regular updates on the system’s goals, processes, and tools to design, PM, and engineering teams along with key stakeholders
- Recruit, hire, and mentor a team of product designers focused on design systems
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 6+ years experience in product design, including experience building and evolving an effective design system
- Extremely organized and consistently advocates for design methodologies and processes
- Cares deeply about technical, scalable, and user-centric models of building things
- Impeccable attention to detail
- An excellent communicator and influencer who can work well with various groups and levels of the organization
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, with an entrepreneurial ownership mentality
- Humble spirit
- Has genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and a deep desire to improve their lives
Bonus points if you:
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.