Postmates - San Francisco, CA
Postmates is focused on providing a thriving marketplace allowing anyone to purchase anything from anywhere in their city or community and have it delivered in minutes. We’re a cloud-native infrastructure deployed across Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services. Our systems and services enable over five million deliveries every month!
We recognize that reliability is a first-class feature for any service. At Postmates, Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) embed with integrated teams of software engineers and product managers. As an SRE, you’ll help those teams build reliability, performance, and security into their services. You’ll participate in all phases of our products - designing, building, and running the services that make Postmates work. You’ll educate other teams about SRE tools and techniques like SLOs, error budgets, blameless postmortems, control of toil, infrastructure as code, and production readiness reviews.
As an SRE, you’ll need to earn the respect of your teammates by providing sensible guidance, and offering rational insight based on hard data that helps everyone keep their services up and running. You will participate with developers in a 24x7 on-call rotation. You will assist your team with system administration tasks, but also work to automate away toil. You’ll work directly on application code, mentoring and learning from other developers and fostering an environment of continuous learning for the entire team. Every day you’ll be making our services and our processes better!
Technologies we use
- Server: Python, Go, Erlang
- Cloud: AWS, GCP
- Databases: BigTable, Postgres, DynamoDB
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, etcd, Consul, Terraform, Prometheus, Grafana, Vault, nginx
- 4+ years of experience developing and managing horizontally scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems in production at scale
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills along with a keen sense of empathy
- Good understanding of datastores, SQL and noSQL
- Strong knowledge of UNIX/Linux, and experience working with open source software
- Experience with containerization and/or virtualization
- Knowledge of modern web architecture (HTTP, REST, gRPC)
- Strong knowledge of (and opinions about) DevOps
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- 3 paid volunteer days to give back to the community
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in SOMA just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.