2u - New York, NY
Course Strategists consult one-on-one with faculty from our partner universities at the beginning of the course development process to design effective high-level strategies for delivering their courses in the 2U environment. We lead faculty through an inquiry-based discovery process to unearth and examine important information about a course, including details about student profiles, instructor preferences, learning outcomes, assessments, and pedagogical tactics. We leverage creative design thinking, expertise in learning science, and an in-depth understanding of 2U’s tools and technology to create a custom strategy tailored to each course. Our work helps to identify creative and ambitious opportunities for enhancements in the online environment, and provides a guiding vision for all of the work that follows in the course development process.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Meeting with Faculty: Strategists meet regularly with assigned professors to share information about course design at 2U, learn more about their courses, and think through design decisions together. Meetings are primarily remote via video conference, though occasional travel for in-person meetings may be required.
- Creating Strategy Deliverables: Strategists are responsible for summarizing important information and synthesizing design decisions and rationale in a narrative Course Strategy Report -- an essential reference guide used by stakeholders throughout the course development process. They may also develop worksheets, planning documents, and other artifacts as needed to communicate the strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Project Management and Coordination: Strategists must spend time scheduling and preparing for meetings, communicating with faculty, reviewing course materials, learning about a degree program or field of study, and consulting and communicating with internal partners such as video producers and course developers.
- Administration, Professional Development, and Team Responsibilities: Strategists spend some part of most days on general administrative tasks such as email and personal organization, professional development including meeting with their manager and building knowledge and skills, and team responsibilities such as weekly meetings.
- Internal Projects: Strategists may spend the balance of their time, when workload permits, working on internal process improvement projects that could include data analysis, coursework comparisons, research on learning and design topics, research on discipline-specific practices and trends, or developing training materials.
Education and Experience:
- 3+ years of directly relevant or transferable professional experience
- A background in instructional design is an asset, but not required; however, a real interest in designing learning experiences, working with faculty, serving students, and impacting education is essential
- Experience leading effective meetings or delivering engaging presentations
- Strong, persuasive verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity in professional or personal pursuits, and an aptitude for learning (potentially complex) new things quickly
- An empathetic and personable approach to putting people at ease with new processes and information
- Active listening skills and the ability to adapt and respond in the moment
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and the ability to solve complex problems within rigid limitations
- An eye for the big picture, with care for the details
- Comfort with ambiguity and change
- Frequent computer-based meetings required
- Occasional travel may be required
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required in peak seasons
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.
2U will consider qualified job applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law, including Los Angeles' Fair Chance Ordinance.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.