Allbirds - San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA | Engineering Team | Reports to Head of Engineering
Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and our headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. And as a certified B Corp, we’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures.
Where we need help
As a direct-to-consumer product company with a loyal customer base, we need your help to make our omnichannel mobile, web, and retail experiences as delightful as our world-renowned shoes. Every touch point that our fans have with Allbirds must represent what we stand for: Better Things in a Better Way. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an engineer to help us build magical moments for our customers to experience the Allbirds brand through immersive, beautiful, and engaging mobile, web, and retail experiences. To do this at scale, you will also rebuild our front-end technology foundation with the right technology, tools and process to enable fast, iterative releases with world-class quality.
What does the job entail?
- Create visually stunning web and campaign experiences that inspire our customers and the world to think in a better way
- Improve and rethink all aspects of our shopping experience across all channels, including our website, retail stores, emails, etc.
- Partner closely with the Allbirds Product and Marketing teams to plan and execute new product launches and campaigns
- Help make key technology decisions to build our core web capabilities
- Build foundational web components that can be reused and extended
- Help define a world-class front-end coding system which includes coding standards, build, test and deployment tools and processes
- Mentor junior engineers through code reviews and coaching
What kind of person are we looking for?
- You care as much about great design and interaction as much as you care about great code
- You embrace challenges and do not compromise on building great consumer experiences
- You have worked with a variety of front-end frameworks and libraries and understand the pros and cons of them
- You strive for simplicity both in code design and user interface design and interaction
- You have extensive experience designing and implementing beautiful and elegant consumer front-end web applications (send us some examples)
- You believe your code is only as good as the tests you write for it
- You believe you can and are excited to build anything you or a designer can dream of
- You are curious, always tinkering with new technologies and frameworks
- You enjoy pushing the boundaries of what technology can do
- You think deeply about creating scalable systems, particularly those that enable you and other engineers to innovate and move fast with high quality in a repeatable way
- You have strong opinions and can communicate them well. You also hear all sides of a debate and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it
More practical skills needed:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Strong Experience with JS testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha, Jasmine, etc.)
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS, experience with pre/post-processors (Sass, PostCSS, etc.), CSS-in-JS a plus
- Expert in analyzing and optimizing front end performance
- Front-end tooling / build system experience (ex. Webpack, Grunt)
- Module bundler / build system experience (Webpack, Gulp, Browserify, etc.)
- eCommerce experience a plus
What can we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- 401k employer match
- Paid parental leave
- Fitness benefits
- Free shoes
- Pup friendly office!
Allbirds is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Allbirds policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.