Gusto - San Francisco, CA
Gusto is a customer-obsessed company, whose mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. As a foundational team member and embedded UX Researcher, you’ll have the unique opportunity to help us deeply understand the goals and experiences of small business owners & operators, so we can empower them with great systems for payroll, employee onboarding, benefits, performance reviews, and more.
In joining our unique research team, you’ll be far from being a ‘lone researcher’ expected to own all the research that needs doing. At Gusto, our Product and Design teams all regularly don their UX Researcher hats- we work together!
We’re looking for a highly experienced, practical researcher who’s as passionate as we are about the power of understanding people’s goals & needs. You’ll have the opportunity to both plan and run more advanced research initiatives while collaborating with and coaching our larger Product & Design teams. The right person will be a skilled communicator and influencer, proactive, and comfortable focusing on any UX research approaches necessary to improve all elements of our customers’ experience; including tactical research & deeper, strategic need-finding research.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Work closely with designers, product managers, engineers, and customer support to identify research topics particularly worthy of investigation right now, and co-design meaningful ways to explore them within our collective constraints to contribute to our strategy.
- Prioritize many research needs based on company goals & estimated impact.
- Conduct research ranging from tactical ux research, strategic needs-finding research, and data exploration, depending on what would most help the company & the teams you’d be working alongside, in support of our customers.
- Choose research methods and processes that lead to sound decision-making in fast-paced and scrappy startup environment, including blending & interpreting information across a mix of available data sources, and helping to collect more data where we need it.
- Communicate, promote, and spread research results with approaches that influence teams in all the right ways & impact product decisions, because you’ve designed the research to resonate with teams’ & customers’ shared goals.
- Work with our UX Research Coordinator, Design Ops Manager, & leadership to identify opportunities & process for teams to partner up on research, and to shape Gusto’s research practices from the ground up.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 4+ years of experience conducting user research for small or large companies.
- 2+ years of experience working within a research team.
- BA/BS or MA/MS in psychology, anthropology, sociology, cognitive science, human-computer interaction, or related field.
- Practical experience with wide variety of qualitative and quantitative research methods, techniques for synthesis, and testing tools.
- Demonstrated ability to make smart decisions about how and when to apply research methods based on solid understanding of their benefits and tradeoffs.
- Self-aware and polished communicator who can collaborate effectively with peers, participants, and team leads.
- Independent, proactive problem-solver who can adapt to changing priorities while staying in sync with multiple stakeholders.
Bonus points for:
- Success with UX research in B2B & regulated industries.
- Experience building or supporting the adoption of unmoderated testing platforms at your workplace.
- Strong quantitative data analysis chops.
- Experience writing SQL.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.