WillowTree - Charlottesville, VA
Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.
As a Principal Product Designer, you’ll be a leader and mentor among our tight-knit and collaborative team of 30+ designers, researchers, and strategists. This is a unique opportunity for those who want more responsibility and leadership in their career, without becoming too far removed from the work itself.
*This is not a remote position and may require travel.
- Through your guidance and mentorship, you’ll take early ideas and turn them into award-winning products
- You’ll validate your design decisions through user feedback, quantitative insights, and evolving best practices
- Your hands-on mentorship will support designers to push out of their comfort zone and create the best work of their careers
- You’ll get clients excited about WillowTree’s capabilities through your ability to give form to strategic, conceptual ideas
- You’ll collaborate and build relationships with cross-disciplinary teams such as engineering, content, and project management in order to orchestrate a smooth project experience for our clients and teams
- You’ll establish WillowTree as a thought leader in the digital design community — e.g. getting your ideas to paper or speaking at conferences
- You’ll design and prototype concepts for strategy engagements with clients — you’re able to work low-fi to hi-fi to communicate your design directions to a variety of stakeholders
- You’ll build relationships with clients and navigate your team through challenges that may interfere with executing the best product possible
- You’ll present design work to clients throughout all phases of the process
- You’ve been in the design industry for 10+ years. You’ve shipped products that impact thousands (or more) users — and most recently you’ve been leading design teams
- You have an in-depth understanding of the product development process, from problem definition to detailed UI and visual design
- You have strong opinions about visual and user experience design while remaining flexible to new or differing perspectives
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of user and business needs, creative approaches to problem-solving, and a mastery of visual design
- You’re a strategic thinker with business acumen, and are still able to roll up your sleeves to push pixels when needed
- You’ve presented complex ideas to clients and team members in a compelling and energetic way
- You love working with clients and they love working with you. You're empathetic to their needs and bring solutions if problems arise
- You’re committed to maintaining them and positively influencing the design culture
- You’re a tech nerd. You love living in a world where tech and design meet
- You prefer face-to-face communication over remote interaction — and you know exactly when to get on a plane to present or solve issues with clients in person
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.