Sony PlayStation - Santa Monica, CA
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Japanese Translator/ Business Administrator
The role of this Japanese Translator/ Business Administrator position is to provide various Japanese translation services to staff within World Wide Studios (WWS) Quality Assurance, its parent organization Global Platform, and all relevant partners in order to support the development, execution, analysis and release of software. This is an entry-level position and it is expected a portion of the time will be spent learning company processes for the business and although no prior business experience as a translator is expected, translation ability should be able to handle technical environments and documents to meet the translation requirements of the business.
Providing written translations to and from Japanese
- Translation of emails between regions including updates of test progress, queries & concerns and any other business related correspondence that contributes towards global testing efforts
- Translation of correspondence between Directors/Managers that are based on any projects/agenda which involves cross regional staff
- Translation of documents including any attachments to emails between Global Platform members and relevant partners
- Assist the global translation team by providing translations of bug reports as required
Coordinating with Global Translation Team to ensure efficient translation support
- Collaborate with translators in all 3 regions to provide 24 hour translation support while ensuring no work is duplicated during the overlapping hours
- Prioritize translation requests to ensure the most urgent are completed promptly
- Update translation tickets as appropriate with comments on the status and progress of assigned workload
- Utilization of translation memory and glossaries.
Learning/Observing verbal interpretation during scheduled meetings
- Sit in, observe, and learn to perform live interpretation services in situations such as meetings, training, phone discussions, demos and other live or virtual environments
Activities supporting the translation service lifecycle (design, transition and improvement) and any other duties as needed
- Test new tools as requested to help define the best practices for the translation workflow
- Work with senior translation staff to explore more efficient methods for translation services
- Work with senior staff to learn and better understand business processes and procedures as well as to get experience of working with more of our global teams
- Perform other duties that include the above services but are not limited to these activities
- Ability to work with various global company teams
- The ideal individual for this position will be very customer oriented and able to work with diverse groups easily
- It is expected in this entry-level position that some learning and networking will take place to allow this individual to grow and as such some effort should be made to learn the teams, personnel, and needs of the various regions
- Ability to follow outlined processes and procedures as well as provide feedback to senior team members on ideas for improvements
- A person in this role should understand basic office applications such as MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel and Outlook
- Either native Japanese speaker or native English speaker is preferred
- Japanese translation skill is expected to be at a level to perform well in a fast paced and professional business environment
- No particular prior business experience is required, however it can be beneficial
- General knowledge of both the game development and general software development industries is suggested
- Automotive industry experience is preferred
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.