Cloudflare - San Francisco, CA
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
Cloudflare’s Engineering Team builds and runs the software that handles about 10% of HTTP requests on the Internet today. We also build and run the internal tools that builds and runs our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development and the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features and functionality and scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the world’s largest networks with data centers in 102 cities worldwide.
About the Role
Back in 2014, Cloudflare launched Universal SSL to provide all of our customers with the security of encrypted traffic between visitors and Cloudflare’s network. On the day we flipped the switch, we doubled the amount of sites using SSL/TLS on the internet. Since then, we’ve been working on providing even more ways to encrypt traffic easier and more effectively. To better serve our customers, we’re constantly improving our systems for issuing, managing, and deploying TLS certificates. By joining Cloudflare’s Security Engineering team, you can help ensure that every site owner has the ability to provide their users with a secure connection.
Your code will help ensure millions of websites have access to encryption. As such, the results of your code will be felt by millions of site owners and billions of visitors every day. We’re continuously providing technology to site owners that was previously only available to the largest organizations. Your contributions will help make the web a faster, safer, better, and more heavily encrypted place.
What you'll do
- Build services (small or micro) with RESTful APIs and their own datastores using Python and Go.
- Write/update a spec for your service, so others know how it works
- Integrate multiple services via message queue-like (Kafka) systems
- Evaluate 3rd party and open source tools. Contribute to open source projects that we use internally.
- Build tools to allow other departments to keep track of certificate status
- Design and implement alerts, write procedures for ops to handle such alerts, or be escalated-to around unresolved operational issues.
- Read and understand code from a legacy codebase to migrate logic to a modern services architecture.
- Review the code of fellow engineers via pull requests.
Examples of desired skills, knowledge and experience
- Have significant experience designing, coding, and implementing applications from the datastore to the public interface
- Are aware of the constraints around code performance, data storage and retrieval, caching, distributed systems, and customer needs
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Have at least 5 years of development experience
- Have used statically typed languages (we use Golang)
- Are willing to use (and learn, if needed) Go and Python on a regular basis
- Are willing to use (and learn, if needed) PHP on a less-regular basis
- Are experienced with designing, consuming, or implementing RESTful services
- Are experienced with working with distributed systems, SOA, or microservices
- Have good working knowledge of traditional databases (PostgreSQL or other relational database)
- Are passionate about writing reusable code that empowers other developers to work faster and smarter
- Can deliver well-tested code that enterprises can rely on
- Have working source control knowledge including branching, merging, and rebasing (we use git)
- Display a strong work ethic and willingness to continuously improve
- Experience with message queues (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc)
- Experience working with a GLNP (Go, Linux, Nginx, PostgreSQL) stack
- Experience with PL/PGSQL stored procedures
- Experience with key-value data stores (Redis, HBase, HDFS, or other)
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.