PeaceHealth - Vancouver, WA
PeaceHealth is seeking RN Case Managers for a part-time positions in the Emergency department at Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver, Washington. Join the care management team in this .5 FTE position, working five 8-hour Night shifts each two week pay period.
Req ID: 172175
Responsible for coordinating and monitoring the patient’s care including the daily plan and the plan for the stay. Performs patient care review activities including monitoring and correcting patient status, documentation for medical necessity of admission and continued hospitalization and concurrent review. Educates patients and families about their hospital course and identifying patient’s discharge needs.
- Provide initial and ongoing assessments of the patients’ needs for services in collaboration with the healthcare team. Monitor and evaluate utilization of those services to focus on the best treatment and approach for the patient promoting the timely progression of interventions, utilization of resources and expected outcomes within a length of stay consistent with external regulations and standards.
- Provide utilization management including facilitating appropriate status assignment per Medicare and InterQual criteria. Ensure appropriate documentation for medical necessity of admission and continued hospitalization. Ensure appropriate level of care bed assignment, apply/interpret payer criteria to ensure conformance with payer standards and provide insurance reviews. Implement opportunities to improve effectiveness in utilization.
- Provide transition planning coordination to include identifying needs and implementing referrals to other clinical care providers. Evaluate patient progress and revise the care plan if needed. Act as a resource for physician office, physician and staff regarding Intensity Severity Discharge (ISD) criteria. Identify barriers to achieving patients discharge and assist the care team in overcoming them.
- Provide patient/family education to facilitate an understanding of their hospital and post-hospital course, their status assignment and discharge appeal rights and provide advocacy for their care.
- Effectively communicate and provide clear and concise documentation according to department standards and regulatory requirements. Refer to appropriate internal and community resources as necessary.
- Act as care management resource by demonstrating critical thinking, portraying a professional image of competency to customer and staff and demonstrating effective verbal and written communication with everyone. Maintain knowledge of CMS, Medicaid, and regulatory agency standards, Department of Health (DOH), Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA). Serve as a clinical resource and/or liaison.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited school/college of nursing and ability to successfully pass a clinical competency exam.
- BSN preferred.
- Minimum three years in a hospital setting with medical/surgical experience with supervisory/preceptor experience (or may have equivalent combination of education and/or experience).
- One year surgical patient population experience preferred.
- Discharge planning, case management, quality assurance/quality improvement, clinical documentation and/or utilization management using Intensity Severity Discharge (ISD) preferred.
- WA State RN Licensure.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers required upon hire.
- Certified Case Manager (CCM) preferred.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of diseases, clinical procedures, treatment, prognosis and hospital functions.
- Ability to effectively communicate clinical information.
- Strong analysis/problem solving skills.
- Skill in the evaluation of quality and appropriateness of care.
- Proven leadership ability. Strong organization skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently or as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Computer skills to include proficiency in keyboarding and data entry.
- Critical thinking skills, able to assess, evaluate and teach.
- Knowledge of discharge planning, health care reimbursement, utilization review processes and Medicare admission status/classification level.
- MS Office proficiency preferred.
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
PHSW Care Management:
- Lead “progression of care” transition rounds, assigning cases to MSW/Discharge planner for intervention.
- Within the Emergency Department Case Manager role: coordinate alternative level transfers (SNF, ALF, ICF, home health), coordinate equipment and other discharge resources.
- Five years’ acute care experience preferred.
PHSW PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS
- Work requires normal exertion at least 66% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation. Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (34-65% of work time).
There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Vancouver community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers.
Location: Vancouver, Southwest Medical Center (150)
Job Category: Nursing
Shift Length: 8 Hours
Work Type: Part Time
Hourly compensation starts at: $40.25, more depending on experience
Required Certifications/Licensure: Basic Life Support; Registered Nurse - Washington
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.