Jet - Hoboken, NJ
As the most-senior Category Manager in Arts & Crafts, you are responsible for building & implementing the strategy for a high-growth department, leading & developing a team of category managers & category specialists through execution of that strategy and establishing efficient processes, milestones & tools for the total department. It's your job to ensure your team is efficient & effective as they develop a best-in-class assortment, deliver competitive pricing that lives up to our brand promise, create a high-converting customer experience and analyze marketplace trends to identify new opportunities for the future. Creativity and agility will be paramount as you identify retail trends and synthesize information and partnerships across multiple cross-functional touch points, providing goals, communicating business needs & driving solutions in a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment.
You won't do this alone. You’ll work within a world-class team of collaborative colleagues and have access to industry-leading merchandising tools and technology to help you analyze and interpret customer, partner, market, business and financial insights at scale. Your job is to bring the art to the science using your intuition and expertise fueled by data, analytics and, above all, a passion for helping our customers save money and live better.
Challenges You’ll Be Tackling
OWN the Category:
You will be THE primary owner of the category across all our eCommerce brands (incl. Walmart.com, Jet.com etc.) and be responsible for Financial Performance by managing assortment, pricing, on-site merchandising, supplier relationships and private label
PARTNER with Support Functions:
Work with suppliers, merchants, product & engineering, marketing, supply chain and other support teams to build out your category (what to sell, how it is displayed, how products are found/shopped, how customers interact with the website/app), market it to millions of our customers around USA and deliver an outstanding customer experience
LEAD your Team:
You will be a part of hiring, training, managing and guiding your own team of Category Specialists, who will own subcategories within your particular category, enabling you to create an amazing customer experience for every product we sell across all our channels. Working with them to build out processes, drive data integrity and technological innovation, you will deliver operating leverage in how we do business.
Responsibilities of You and Your Team
• Own category financial targets (e.g. GMV and margin), and identify (and execute upon) levers to achieve those targets, managing Open to Buy forecasts
• Evolve the category’s assortment strategy through in-market expertise, close out assortment gaps and chart a path to differentiated category leadership
• Own vendor relationships and optimize the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers
• Ensure holistic price competitiveness/adherence
• Build aspirational product stories & marketing assets, working with site merchandising/marketing partners to generate traffic drivers for distinct customer profiles through category messaging and promotions
• Manage on-site product presentation and catalog data (e.g. attributes), and drive requirements into the search and browse experience – taxonomy, navigation, tagging
• Collaborate with Marketing teams around category promotions and messaging
• Collaborate with Planning and Supply Chain teams to forecast and deliver instocks
• Drive team of category specialists to execute your strategies & iterate as needed, using effective communication & clear strategies
Who You Are
• You enjoy building deep relationships with brands and vendors and negotiating for customer value
• You know how to make scaling super-fast and super-fun!
• You love digging into both data and customer behavior
• You understand that the execution is just as important as the strategy
• You are a team builder who can mentor and grow a high-performing team
• You want to be a part of one of the fastest growing eCommerce companies, where the only constant is change!
- 6+ years of proven experience in buying and site merchandising
- 4+ years of Managerial experience developing Assoc. Buyers, Buyers or Category Managers
- Industry background required
- Must have experience developing strong business relationships with vendors, industry leaders & cross-functional partners
- Have managed and maintained open-to-buy
- Must have experience managing and creating new categories of business in extremely competitive environment
- Must have experience with high risk, high volume, complex categories of goods
- Must have experience managing margin to meet category objectives
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- MBA preferred
- Strong e-commerce experience
- Proactive individual that is a self-starter and takes initiative
- Experience managing teams across disparate locations
- A dynamic leader & thinker
- A bias towards action
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.