Homechef - Chicago, IL
Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
This program rotates through several core responsibilities of the menu development process. For example, you may participate in recipe editing, recipe tasting, new product development, photography, etc. Upon successful completion of the rotations, you will be placed into a longer-term role within the department or organization. This is an opportunity for a bright, data-driven and detail-oriented associate to have an impact within each responsibility area while developing a strong, well-rounded understanding of the culinary/product department.
Below are possible rotations and responsibilities:
New Meal Development:
- Taste and provide feedback daily on all meals chefs develop, including red meat, vegetarian, soy, seafood, shellfish, and pork (with limited exceptions)
- Ideate concepts for new, successful meals
- Rotation objective is to optimize customer experience with the recipe card
- Check for accuracy, completeness, existence for recipe-related signage on a rotating weekly basis
- Write recipes with chefs in the test kitchen
- Support in photography and step shots for recipes
- Create accurate and error-free versions of recipe cards through editing stages and change management process
- Rotation objective is to empower chefs to improve their meals through feedback
- Generate customer feedback on meals
- Review & analyze feedback from testing initiatives
- Run initiatives for continuous improvement of testing process
- Identify and communicate shorts & replacement solutions for plant procurement teams (will be on call weekends to respond to inquiries)
Qualifications - The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or other characteristics needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Willingness to eat everything! A strong preference for candidates with limited or no food allergies or restrictions
- Excel or Google Sheets capabilities preferred
- Close attention to detail - no recipe card mistakes get to the customer
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Flexible & thrive in an atmosphere of constant change & short deadlines
- Strong communicator and relationship builder
- Highly organized and solution-oriented
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Previous experience in the food industry (recipe development, R&D or editorial work) and/or managing others is preferred
- Must be able to taste and provide thorough feedback on every meal and ingredient sample test in the kitchen, including vegetarian, pork, chicken, steak, and seafood meals.
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
- 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
- We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Generous Parental Leave
- Great Work/Life Balance – We value and support each individual team member
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
- Onsite gym
- Weekly Fooda credit
- Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
Home Chef is an equal employment opportunity employer
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.