Pivotal Software - Chicago, IL
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
You enjoy daily product decision making and real product delivery with product managers and developers. You help ensure project success and client satisfaction. You enjoy seriously collaborative teams, pairing with team members and inviting your clients to participate. You like to work alongside and learn from lean and agile leaders. You are a creative problem solver who is comfortable with uncertainty and can lead the design effort to make better product decisions. You are curious and a keen learner who thrives on enhancing your and Labs' practices and knowledge.
About Us VIDEO
Founded in 2013, Pivotal Software, Inc., combines our leading cloud-native platform, tools, and methodology to empower the world’s largest organizations to adapt to change and build great software. Our technology unleashes developer productivity, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
Product designers at Pivotal Labs ensure we solve the right problems and understand user needs to deliver new or improved products and services that have real impact. We espouse a lean/iterative mentality, and try not to treat design artifacts as precious - the only deliverable we are concerned with is the software.
You are a “full stack” designer in the sense that you are willing to help out on any of the dimensions of design - research, testing, ux, visual, css, etc. It’s ok if you’re not an expert in every speciality! We don’t expect you to know everything - we just want you to be curious enough to want to learn.
As consultants, the goal is to ship products that create real value while enabling the client team to develop skills necessary to take the product home after an engagement with our team - you will be teaching traditional waterfall designers how to fish.
You are working with a cross-disciplinary product team and pair with everyone - developers, product managers, other designers, and your clients. You show clients the value of agile design, and the importance of user testing in making smart product choices.
In the spirit of agile design, you have the opportunity to experiment with process. - do what works, try new things, and stop doing things that don’t work.
- Successful candidates commonly have 10 years of experience, we encourage all applicants
- Bring deep experience in at least one facet of the 3 facets of design: user research, interaction design or visual design
- Have experience designing applications, from consumer facing to internal tools
- Lead product design from research through implementation - you want to help the team succeed more than making a nice sketch file
- Maintain a user-centered approach while respecting business needs
- Able to work and be effective in an agile design environment, rather than a waterfall one
- Have experience and curiosity within agile and lean philosophies
- Have experience working independently with clients or stakeholders in a consulting role
- Knowledge of modern front-end systems and open source frameworks (iOS, Android, Bootstrap, responsive patterns, etc.)
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- Have experience enabling clients in user centered design best practices
- Experienced in user research methodologies and can educate others
- Interest in giving talks on design to clients and internal pivots
- Some familiarity with CSS - you don’t have to be an expert
- Active member of the design community
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.