PeaceHealth - Longview, WA
PeaceHealth is seeking an experienced Lab Assistant for a per diem role in the laboratory at St. John Medical Center. This per diem role will provide additional staffing as needed, working a a variety of shifts and hours. May work both phlebotomay and specimen processing.
Req ID: 176356
Works collaboratively with all healthcare team members toward the best outcomes for the patient and the organization. May perform phlebotomy services, specimen collection/handling, utilize knowledge of department procedures and computerized Lab Information Systems (LIS), and support patients with information and direction utilizing laboratory services. Assists lab staff with delivering patient care, distributing lab results and reports, and operation of laboratory equipment.
- Prepares, delivers, and picks up items in accordance with health and safety regulations and laboratory policies to insure specimen integrity, quality patient care, and caregiver safety.
- Collects and labels specimens for requested testing, processes specimen according to established guidelines and completes documentation for the specimen.
- Performs data entry of patient demographics and tests ordered. Performs all paperwork, technical, and nontechnical procedures required to process and submit specimens.
- Receives, handles, sorts, processes, or packages specimens.
- Receives and makes telephone calls and uses computer terminal and reference guides to provide information and answer questions from clients and patients, regarding specimen requirements, test results and other client requests.
- Performs waived testing as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Phlebotomy training or phlebotomy experience is required.
- Prior clinical laboratory experience preferred.
Washington State License/Certification requirements:
- WA State: Medical Assistant – Phlebotomy Certification is either required at time of hire or the application must be submitted within 14 days of hire with the active credential in place within 120 days of hire.
- HIV/AIDS training within the first 14 days of employment.
- Valid driver's license for driving positions.
- Able to approach, communicate and positively interact with patients and health care professionals while performing their duties, frequently under stressful conditions.
- Able to work without supervision, but know when to consult with supervisory personnel for assistance in determining appropriate actions.
- Able to use the electronic laboratory information system. Must perform work activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Able to recognize the various levels of service (routine to critical) demanded of the laboratory and prioritize work and adjust working style to accommodate said demands.
- Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks at one time.
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Lab Assistant – Specimen Processor
- Receives, processes, and distributes specimens to technical departments. Prepares specimens and forms for testing at the laboratory and for transport to external reference laboratories.
House Calls – Additional Working Conditions
Works indoors at clinical laboratory and hospital settings. In addition, works in assisted living facilities, nursing homes and private residences. Occasional (6 - 33%) twisting, kneeling and stooping when performing phlebotomy is required in these locations.
The ability to frequently drive (33 -66%) is required for House Call positions. Occasionally (6 - 33%) works outdoors and is exposed to weather when traveling between patient locations. The ability to occasionally (6 - 33%) get in and out of a car and intermittently (1-6%) walk on uneven surfaces is required. Position has the potential for exposure to common domestic allergens including dust, mold, animals and food.
Works in a clinical laboratory setting. Continuous (67 - 100% of the time) exposure to moderate noise level. Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood, body fluids containing blood, or other types of patient samples and the continuous (67 - 100%) use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying required. Occasional (6-33%) lifting and carrying of up to 20 pounds required. Intermittent (1 -5%) lifting of up to 35 pounds required. Frequent (34-66 %) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals required. Must have good manual dexterity of one or both hands. Must be able to perform fine hand movements to manipulate samples, lab equipment and instruments, keyboards and other items. Requires good corrected vision, the ability to do near point, or close up, work at varying distances from the eye. Requires flexibility of various work assignments with frequent requests to move from one workstation to the next.
There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the Longview community please visit our homepage: www.peacehealth.org/careers.
Location: Longview, LCR Delaware Campus (103)
Job Category: Allied, Ancillary & Clinical Support
Shift Length: Variable
Work Type: Per Diem/Relief
Hourly compensation starts at: $16.40, more depending on experience
Required Certifications/Licensure: Medical Assistant Phlebotomist - Washington
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender; pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Longview || Allied, Ancillary & Clinical Support || Lab Services || Per Diem/Relief || DIAGNOSTIC SVCS
Want to discover the best jobs and companies?
Welcome to the next step in your career
Maia is a daily email with jobs and career advice.
Discover jobs that are a fit for you, with Maia’s smart job matching.